Backwards Design

I am interested on the “Backwards Design” structural model to support alignment in our planning after read through to the introduction which introduced by Jones David’s post in Week 4 learning task.  This is NEW to me! I have gone through several blog posts from my classmates (AMY & Vicky) which define and their own perspectives towards their findings on Backward Design.  I am so impressed about this model and wanted to find out more about it.  Therefore, I started my own research through YouTube.

I had found out one of the videos which conducted by Jace Hargis who discussing about Backward design in planning.  I like the way he present the concepts about this model of planning.  He gave me clear pictures about backward design.

1.    Identify desired results

I agreed with Amy’s ideas about the effectiveness of Backwards design is greater than traditional method in planning.  Teachers need to determine evidence and plan learning experiences in stage on what student’s prior knowledge is and students’ capabilities in the first step. These provide teachers opportunities to examine content standards from the curriculum, review the curriculum expectations, and reflect on teacher/ student interest in order to plan next goals for children to achieve.

2.    Determine acceptable evidence

Second step is taken consideration on assessments which contains both informal and formal or formative and summative during a unit.  Teachers need to determine the evidence of students to achieve and determine the time frame in order to meet the standards of planning.

3.    Planning learning experiences and instruction

Teachers plan learning experience and instruction to helps students to learn from current level to higher level.  Teachers need to consider about the concepts and knowledge and skills that students need to perform effectively and achieve desired results.  Teacher plan learning activities based on student’s comprehension to equip students with the needed knowledge and skills, and provide materials and resources are best suited to accomplish the goals.  Lastly, teacher reflect on the coherent and effectiveness for the overall design in the unit.

Learning on ‘Backwards design’ had given me a new idea in reflecting on myself as designer in early childhood setting.  I believed planning is a crucial part in teaching and guiding in student’s leaning progress.  I have set up a clear mindset on what are my expectations on student’s learning outcomes and understand their understanding level in the beginning part of planning.

References:

Haiges, J. (2011, June 22). Backwards design [Video file]. Video posted to  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWTKclIZnY

Jones, D. (2013). The structure for planning-backwards design. Retrieved March 19, 2013, from http://usqstudydesk.usq.edu.au/m2/mod/page/view.php?id=105369

2 thoughts on “Backwards Design

1. Pingback: Backward design!! | Tiong blog

2. Pingback: Backwards Design | EDC3100